225g/ 8oz butter, softened
225g/ 8oz sugar
225g/ 8oz self raising flour
50g/ 1.5oz cocoa powder
35ml/ 2 tbsp sour cream
150g/ 5oz butter, softened
100g/ 3.5oz plain chocolate
200g/ 7oz icing sugar
Sprinkles to decorate
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
Grease an 8/9” baking tin and line with grease proof paper (unless it it loose based in which case coat with flour).
- Cream together the butter and sugar. And add the eggs one at a time.
- Once fully incorporated add the flour and stir until combined.
- Separate the mixture into two bowls.
- Add the cocoa powder and sour cream to one bowl.
- Use a spoon to create a layer of mixture alternating between plain and chocolate.
- Add another layer so that you have contrasting colours on top until all the mix is used.
- Use a skewer or knife to swirl through the mixture creating a marble effect.
- Gently shake the tin to even out the depth of the mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake for between 1hr and 1hr 20. Check after 50 mins just in case your oven is very hot!
- The cake is cooked when a skewer comes out of the top clean.
- Leave to cool in the ten for 10 mins.
- Use a knife around the sides of the tin to loosen the cake before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Using an electric mixer beat together the butter, icing sugar and melted chocolate for 2-3 mins.
- Using a rose tip nozzle and a disposable piping bag pipe chocolate roses onto the cooled cake.
- Finish by decorating with the sprinkles of your choice.